past, present, future
- Freelance writer since 2007
- Head of Copy at Aquarium Writers
- Head of Copy at Corporate Edge
- Senior Copywriter at Pauffley
- Copywriter at PA Consulting
- Copywriter at Austin Knight (now TMP)
What do they know of copywriting who only copywriting know?
A wordy way of saying, it’s good to have a copywriter with broad experience. Because that tells you a lot about their range of interests, reference points and empathy with different audiences.
I came to copywriting by way of a degree in English from Manchester University, followed by a post-grad English teaching certificate and two years’ teaching grammar in Greece and Poland.
I’ve worked in shops, offices and factories. I was promoting British publishing with the British Council when I first heard there was a thing called copywriting, and I knew I’d love it. I’m forever grateful to Fraser Southey for plucking my application from the sackfuls and giving me my first copywriting job back in 1989.
I’ve always written creatively. I’ve studied fiction and poetry at City Lit, Birkbeck and Goldsmith’s, and have had my poetry published by Faber, and in Storm and Pen International magazines.
‘At Collectiva we love working with Tamara because:
- Clients love working with us – Tamara involves them directly into the copywriting process, and she helps them reveal interesting angles of their brand – sometimes they are not even aware of them.
- The most common reaction from my clients, over the years, in every industry, is: ‘yes, it’s us – Tamara really nailed it!’
- We often get an agreement at the first draft phase.
- Tamara helped us finding a unique voice for our clients in the luxury hospitality industry, and in the business to business/professional sector.
- Our most successful projects are the ones that were copy-led, not design-led: I simply let Tamara conduct the preliminary briefing with the client, and trust her research and insights to formulate the first visual concepts. Every time we used this approach, we had sign-off of the creative routes on the first presentation.’
Francesco Nerici, Creative Director, Collectiva
‘Tamara is the one person I trust absolutely to cover work for me or to partner with me on projects. Not only does she have the intelligence and creativity needed to bring corporate communications to life, she has a similar (in my view, essential!) dedication to accuracy and the correct use of grammar. Knowing I can rely on Tamara and trust her with my precious clients makes my life so much easier.’ Claire Falcon, Director, Falcon Windsor
‘Tamara is an important member of the BergHind Joseph extended team. We all enjoy working with her as she consistently delivers great copy which always meets the needs of the client brief. I have no hesitation in recommending Tamara to you.’ Ian Brownhill, Director, BergHind Joseph
‘Tamara is a delight to work with. She listens carefully to the brief, and produces very high quality work every time, with real creative flair. I would strongly recommend her for both copywriting and for article-writing.’ Jenny Rivarola, Senior Editor & Writer, Lang Communications
‘Any creative writer worth their salt can write great copy about a cool consumer brand. Just a few can write a persuasive catalogue for a tap manufacturer. Tam can do both.’ Joe Lang, Owner, Lang Communications
‘I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend or work with Tamara again. She’s a fantastic writer, brilliant researcher, efficient, experienced, great with clients and good fun.’ Sam Hill, Brand Manager, Wellcome Trust